Thursday, October 10, 2013

Stop # 9: Powell Mountain Overlook near Stickleyville

Coming back from a meeting in Gate City today, I stopped at Powell Mountain Overlook.  I visited both sides of the road.  There are 2 different pull-offs up on that mountain.  One includes a handy little 12-foot path to stunning scenery right beside the "Welcome to Lee County" sign, worth the 12-foot hike straight up, if you've got the right shoes on.  Mine were good enough to get me up there and back down.  Powell Mountain Overlook is near Stickleyville.

The overlook is on the Lee/Scott County border.  We tend to run boundary lines, whether county or state, on top of the mountain ridges around here.  (For example, if I sit in a rocking chair on my front porch, I see a mountain, and on top of the mountain ridge is the Kentucky state line, running along the top of that ridge for quite some ways.)  And likewise, you're on top of a mountain at Powell Valley Overlook standing on the border of two counties.

There were several visitors when I got there today.  Two gals from Wise County (who had family connections with both Lee and Dickenson Counties) were enjoying a picnic right there on the stone wall at the overlook, which was working for them just fine.  They were kind enough to let me take their photo for the blog.  We all agreed that some picnic tables could be a good addition to this destination.  Picnic tables or not, it's a great place to hang out while you're eating a meal with a friend!

I also propped up the camera on the stone wall and successfully operated the timer for a photo of me standing at Powell Mountain Overlook.  It kind of makes me want to scan in photos from my childhood and teen years and more, of me and whoever is with me at the time, standing at Powell Mountain Overlook. There are many such photos that were taken over the years.  Of course, in my youngest years, it's my brother standing beside me as we all go over Powell Mountain to Grandma's house we go.... and we always looked forward to seeing the really big icicles hanging on the cliff there at Christmas time, where they had to chop off part of the mountain in order to get the road through there.  Powell Mountain Overlook is wonderful, no matter what the season.  (Watch Joan grow up as she stops at Powell Mountain Overlook over the years?! sounds like a fun photo album to me!)  Here's some photos taken today.













No comments:

Post a Comment