Thursday, October 3, 2013

Stop # 5: Ely Mound near Rose Hill

Yesterday, I visited the Ely Mound Historical Marker, located along the Daniel Boone Wilderness Trail driving route.  You can see the Ely Mound while you stand at its historical marker.  I wanted to launch the "30 Stops in 30 Days" blogging blitz with Stone Face Rock as Stop # 1, which I did.  Perhaps Stone Face Rock may be the one unifying sentimental symbol shared by most all Lee County residents??   And I wanted Ely Mound to be in among the early stops, as a celebration that our Lee County history goes WAY back. Lee County's geological features and archaeology treasures can be quite amazing and absolutely intriguing.  (And I haven't even mentioned Lee County's biodiversity yet...  we'll talk about biodiversity when we visit our state-owned natural area preserves this month.)  Here some photos from yesterday's excursion to see the Ely Mound, Stop # 5.





Next I'll get some more information up about the sites we've visited.  I will also start sketching out the plans for some of the next stops.  And I'll send out some invites to welcome others to join in on our authentic Appalachian adventures....

Welcome to "October 2013:  Lee County Virginia - 30 Stops in 30 Days!"
Joan
jminor@leecova.org
Joan Minor, Lee County Tourism Director
at the borders of Virginia/Tennessee/Kentucky
"October 2013: Lee County Virginia - 30 Stops in 30 Days"
Stop # 5 of 30:  Ely Mound near Rose Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment